Thursday, December 21, 2006

Celebrating the "Sacred messiness of life"


One of the reasons that I am "Nobody's Wife" could be my apartment. A suitor one day looked at my living room and said "What male bird would mate with a female bird that builds a nest like this?"

That's why I was happy to open my New York Times this morning and see Penelope Green's article Saying Yes to Mess. Illustrated by an exuberantly chaotic Koren cartoon, the article presents the positive psychological and spiritual underpinnings of messiness.

The article quotes Rabbi Irwin Kula, author of a book entitled "Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life," saying "Order can be profane and life-diminishing." Clutter and disarray need not signify slovenliness, but may be a manifestation of abundance.

At Our Lady of Vilnius, all kinds of things and people are joyfully juxtaposed in a rich and uncontrived pageant of humanity. Gloria in excelsis deo!

No comments: