Sunday, September 19, 2010

Today Marks the Beatification of Cardinal John Henry Newman

Today, when you gather in prayer with the parishioners of Our Lady of Vilnius, remember Cardinal John Henry Newman, who will be beatified by Pope Benedict XVI today. Cardinal Newman has given us a lot of sustenance for our spiritual journeys and our quest to save this parish. Let us include him among our regular intercessors as we pray for the restoration of the bonds of connection that were severed by the suppression of Our Lady of Vilnius parish.

A MEDITATION

God has created me to do some definite service.
God has committed some work to me which has not been committed to another.
I have my mission. I am linked in a chain, a bond of connection between persons.
I have not been created for nothing; I shall be an angel of peace.

Whatever, wherever I am, I can never be thrown away.
If I am in sickness, my sickness will serve God;
if I am in sorrow, my sorrow will serve.
God does nothing in vain and knows what all is about.
Therefore I will trust….
(John Henry Cardinal Newman)

Newmania

Leading up to the beatification, Fr. Joseph Komonchak at dotCommonweal blog provided an excellent series of posts under the title "Newmania":

No comments: