Saturday, March 16, 2024

RIP Harry Kresky, Defender of Parishes


Harry Kresky, the attorney who crafted the argument that saved St. Brigid's church in Manhattan from further whacks from the wrecking ball, has passed away.  The Save Our Lady of Vilnius Committee was impressed with the elegance and effectiveness of his creation and hired him to help save the church and parish.  I thought about him (coincidentally?) on the date of his death as I was cleaning up my act and my apartment and came upon the stack of legal papers.

I am still haunted by the mysteries of the closure of the parish and the ensuing case, which stayed alive from 2007 to 2011 until it was lost at the highest court in NY state.   Kudos to Harry for getting us there against Roger Ailes' personal attorney and Fox and Friends personality, Peter Johnson, Jr.

For the past year I had toyed with the idea of calling Mr. Kresky and hiring him to at least educate us re Neutral Principles and go on to explain how both he and Mr. Johnson invoked them, but Mr. Johnson won.  When I floated this idea to my friend Elaine, who had co-chaired the Committee, she cautioned "if he's still alive."  Sadly for us and many others, we Googled him and found his very recent obituary.

My significant other of 27 years, John, passed away on January 9th of this year, so my heart goes out to Harry's loved ones.  As usual, the obituary revealed things about the deceased that I did not know during the period of our acquaintance.  The simplicity and elegance of his argument should have suggested to me that he was a poet, but it didn't.  I am now going to read his poems.
The entire obituary is available here: https://www.gariepyfuneralhomes.com/obituary/Harry-Kresky

No comments: