Friday, January 19, 2007

Interesting Juxtaposition

As the media, local and otherwise, are abuzz with news of church closings under the realignment plan of the Archdiocese of New York, PBS has been airing the film Hand of God, which the PBS website describes as "A moving, and frankly told story of a family's confrontation with the church that betrayed them, and how they survived it all with their humanity and humor intact."

I did not see the film in its entirety because I had attended a meeting of Our Lady of Vilnius supporters. I came in at the end, where Paul Cultrera's parents are facing the closure of their beloved church.

Find a way to see this film.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Your Posting was pointed out to me. I am the dircetor of Hand of God. The film is about my family. If you have digital cable it can be seen Sunday on CH 715 at 12:30am, 7:30am and 2:00pm. The film began as a half-hour film I made for the people of my neighborhood whose church (St Mary's Italian of Salem, MA)was being closed by the Archdiocese of Boston. I then connected that story to the story of my brother's abuse by a priest back in 1964. Feel free to contact me if you miss the broadcast, and in addition, or if you want to see(or use for screening)the half-hour film about the closing of St Mary's. I am a New York City resident, and was saddened to read this morning of the closings in New York.

Best,
Joe Cultrera
917-599-8843