Monday, October 17, 2016

The Saint Stanislaus Kostka community mourns the loss of Peter Frankevich


When I met Peter Frankevich in 1994 he had a craggy face and a salt and pepper brush cut just like my dad's.  Always dapper in his Sunday best, he handed me, a bulletin and said, "Let me find a nice seat for you," leading me up the center aisle.  After Mass he conducted me to the basement for coffee social and found me a seat.

I came back every Sunday after that gracious introduction.  Soon I learned that Peter was more than an usher; he was a trustee, unofficial plant superintendent and co-chief cook and bottle washer (with Ed Maleska).  In autumn he removed the dead leaves from the gutter.  He reamed the molten wax from the candlesticks and kept the ornery air conditioner groaning throughout the summer.  When I let myself into the church to file music, he was often there fixing something or other.

This morning he was buried out of St. Matthew's church.  Father Yeboah celebrated the Mass and Msgr. McCorry concelebrated, adding a fine, bittersweet and true reminiscence of Peter's life.

And so Peter's physical presence is no longer with us, he will continue to inspire us and we will carry the torch of devotion and persistence that he has passed to us.

CLICK HERE to read Peter's obituary.

No comments: