Featured Post

Help Keep St Mary's Standing - Write to Yonkers City Council Members in Support of the Landmark Application

St. Mary's Church is already a landmark to anyone who has spent any time in Yonkers, but to make sure that it continues to stand and ins...

Saturday, May 18, 2024

Yoko Ono is selling former residence in OLV country

According to the NY Times, a building where Yoko Ono and John Lennon lived during their early days in Manhattan is now for sale.  I never knew that they had lived there and I wonder whether they used their relative anonymity to attend Linda Pakri's theatrical productions in the OLV basement.

While I did not know Yoko Ono, I greeted her on many mornings when I jogged around the Central Park Reservoir in the opposite direction.  We were smiling blurs to each other and I thought she was a short, friendly Latino dude in a short-brimmed cap and squarish dark windbreaker.  It wasn't until another jogger asked "Do you know who that is?" that I learned it was Yoko Ono.  

If Yoko was a spring chicken again and John was still alive, they would probably sell this building any way because they would not have the freedom to room the streets while being respectfully ignored by those who recognized them.  There would also be less to explore now that everything in the neighborhood has been discovered, assessed and curated.  Not much for me to see when I venture out of my imaginary basement.

Read all about it: For Sale: The SoHo Building Where John Lennon and Yoko Ono Once Lived

No comments: