Sunday, October 03, 2010

Annual Italian Mass Today at 5:00 PM - Our Lady of Pompeii, Dobbs Ferry, NY

I consider Our Lady of Pompeii in Dobbs Ferry to be the Italian sister of Our Lady of Vilnius and St. Stanislaus Kostka. It is about the same size and has the same grass-roots agapeic spirit.

This evening at 5:00 PM the annual Italian Mass will be celebrated at 5:00 PM, most likely by Father Luke Sweeney. This is one of my favorite Masses. Old hymns are sung with feeling Napolitano style by strong altos and the heritage of the parish is celebrated. The spirits of the departed will be remembered, Deacon Tony Barbieri most especially. I will also remember Father Carmelo Glavina who formed a truly dynamic litugical duo with Deacon Tony. The feast of St. Francis of Assisi is tomorrow and I will be happy to share in this Eucharistic celebration with my adopted paisanos.

No comments: